Tim Carr and Family out the front of their Vaucluse Store early 2000s
Getting to this point has been quite a story in itself. Vaucluse Cellars opened its doors in 1959 back when the Australia nation had an affinity with fortified wines and beer.
During the 1980s Vaucluse Cellars pushed the vinous boundaries under the stewardship of Arthur Schwarer and Margaret O'Farrell. They promoted various notable French appellations as well as many Australian wines that have evolved into todays Classics. They were ahead of their time. When they sold in the 1990s the store reverted to a standard fare of offerings.
When we took over in 2001, new premises were purchased across the road that kickstarted our determination to free palates kept hostage to ho-hum local corporate offerings by re-installing the exciting arrangements from the classic terroirs of France, Italy and Spain. The timing was right. The market responded with enthusiasm. Buoyed along by the arrival of the world wide web and our popular email promotions, the store soon found itself at the heart of Australia’s booming fascination with fine wine. That hard work culminated in the awarding in 2010 of The Sydney Morning Herald's Foodies Guide to Sydney publication, best 'Wine & Spirits Merchants.